Mission-Driven. Honor-Bound. Fairbanks Morse Defense. What’s your calling? For the men and women of Fairbanks Morse Defense it’s the rapid and effective support of the fleets that entrust us to design, develop, and deliver the best naval power technology on the planet. We’re one of the nation’s leading marine defense contractors because of the highly trained and dedicated teams that provide reliable power systems, parts, and aftermarket services to the U.S. Navy, Coast Guard, Military Sealift Command, and Canadian Coast Guard. When you join Fairbanks Morse Defense, you join a legacy of commitment that spans 150 years. Fairbanks Morse Defense offers competitive benefits with a wide range of training and development opportunities. Our world-class teams are dedicated to helping every individual achieve their full potential. Discover what it’s like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse Defense team here: https://www.fairbanksmorsedefense.com/careers
Job Title: Application Engineer
Reports To: General Manager
Location: Remote (Ideally between Mobile, AL, and Houston, TX)
Salary Range: $90,000-$100,000 annually
Research Tool & Die Works (RT&D) powered by Fairbanks Morse Defense is a renowned manufacturing firm with a rich history of over 55 years in electrical-systems hardware design and metal stamping fabrication. Our commitment to quality, innovation, and precision has established us as a leader in the industry, evidenced by our extensive patent portfolio and exceptional manufacturing capabilities. Our Carson, California facility stands as a hub of cutting-edge technology, housing advanced fabrication equipment and modern design processes.
We are seeking an Application Engineer to join our dynamic team at RT&D. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in driving business growth through strategic sales initiatives, relationship building, and technical consultation of RT&D shipboard electrical and pipe hardware. As an Application Engineer, you will engage with customers, distributors, shipyards, and industry partners to promote our innovative manufacturing solutions and ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction. This position will also cultivate deep and wide-ranging customer relationships with major new build and ship repair facilities, gaining a comprehensive understanding of customer priorities. Effectively prepare and deliver sales presentations, prepare quotes, negotiate contracts, and close deals.
- Oversee and enhance the quoting process, implementing automation and tracking mechanisms to streamline efficiency and accuracy.
- Ensure a robust and resilient quoting process without single points of failure, fostering reliability and customer confidence.
- Develop and curate a comprehensive customer list, including purchase history and product preferences, for effective relationship management.
- Collaborate with marketing to update product information and create customer training materials that align with market needs.
- Collaborate with Strategic Directors and Sales leadership to formulate Business Segment strategies and execute sales plans in alignment with business objectives.
- Deliver up-to-date sales forecasting aligned with annual, quarterly, and monthly sales goals, reporting periodically to the organization and senior leadership.
- Devise and execute a strategic customer engagement plan, encompassing trade shows, phone calls, emails, and regular visits.
- Utilize increased customer interaction to forecast future product demand, enhancing production planning and resource allocation.
- Represent RT&D at trade shows and industry gatherings, expanding the company's presence and networking opportunities.
- Provide comprehensive training to distributors on existing and upcoming product offerings, driving sales growth.
- Act as an application engineer, collaborating with shipyards to specify suitable products for diverse applications.
- Provide insightful suggestions to shipyards to optimize product utilization and recommend complementary solutions.
- Follow up on significant quotes to address inquiries and concerns, reinforcing customer satisfaction and relationship building.
- Maintain clients informed about the status of larger orders, ensuring transparency and proactive communication.
- Collaborate with distributors to foster increased sales, providing support and incentives for enhanced performance.
- Develop strategic partnerships with adjacent companies, including lighting, pipe, and wire manufacturers, to explore mutual business opportunities.
- Coordinate Cross-functional collaboration to ensure customer expectations and internal targets are fulfilled.
- Must have prior experience in the naval shipbuilding and repair markets.
- Experience with naval shipboard electrical and piping systems design or production.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years’ experience preferred.
- Proven success in selling metals products to shipbuilders and repairs companies directly in North America and globally through representatives.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, adept at conveying technical concepts to diverse audiences.
- Result-oriented mindset with a history of meeting or exceeding sales targets.
- Self-motivated and proactive in identifying new business opportunities and building customer relationships.
- Travel up to 75%, domestic travel to customer locations and trade shows.
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
This specification is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. Ability to competently perform all the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation, demonstrated commitment to effective customer service delivery, and the ability to work productively as a member of a team or work group are basic requirements of all positions at Fairbanks Morse Defense.
Fairbanks Morse Defense offers a competitive benefits package including but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances, and 401k retirement plan with employer match. In addition, we offer paid time off, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled