Shearer’s is a privately held producer, leading co-manufacturer, and distributor of quality snack foods sold under private labels across the nation. Ranking number one in private brand and contract manufactured salty snacks, as well as the number two supplier of private brand cookies and crackers in North America, you love our products, although you may not be familiar with our name! We utilize our manufacturing expertise to serve as a strategic supplier to our partners, who are nationally recognized retail and restaurant brands. With exceptional competence in product development, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution, we continue to embrace significant growth in each segment of our business. Headquartered in Massillon, Ohio, we have over 5,000 associates in 11 state-of-the-art manufacturing and distribution sites in North America. You can visit our website at www.Shearers.com.
The Packaging Engineer supports the packaging materials team and provides plant support for commercialization, growth initiatives, quality & efficiency improvements, troubleshooting activities and general packaging support. This role also supports the broader Process & Packaging Engineering team in supporting plant operations as needed.
Your Seat at the Table
The Packaging Engineer position is accountable for testing and commercialization of new flexible and rigid packaging material, as well as the optimization of existing flexible and rigid packaging materials. The Packaging Engineer is expected to leverage vendor support to troubleshoot issues, identify root causes, and ensure corrective actions are implemented. The Packaging Engineer collaborates with cross-functional partners including, Procurement, Commercial, Operations, and Quality.
Provide technical knowledge, direction, education, and assistance in the packaging of high quality snack food products:
- Provide technical knowledge and assistance in the packaging of high-quality snack food products.
- Implement opportunities to optimize our existing packaging systems and potential innovations to transform our packaging
- Support factory with optimization activities
- Understand Shearer’s products, production processes, and quality specifications
- Have excellent packaging machine knowledge within a food manufacturing plant
- Use continuous improvement strategies to develop ideas for savings, innovation, plant efficiency and quality improvements
- Perform manufacturing line trials, evaluation, and validation of new packages film structures, corrugate and pallet configurations
- Creates packaging related SOPs, work instructions and packaging specification for quoting and item set up
- Supports supply chain initiatives including new and alternative packaging
- Understands the relationship between package, product, and process
- Supports team members daily in the packaging engineering functions
- May require occasional travel to other plants for trials and other activities
- Provides project and plant support for packaging
- Performs additional related duties as assigned
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelors degree in Engineering
- Demonstrated proficiency as a Packaging Machine Operator in a food plant preferred
- Experience with the use of MS Office software including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting — Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Systems Analysis — Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
We Offer a Feast of Benefits
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Flexible Spending Account, Retirement Savings Plan with Match, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Group Critical Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance, Employee Assistance Plan and numerous opportunities to volunteer in the communities in which we operate.
You will be considered for employment in our inclusive workplace
Because at Shearer’s, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is your invitation to apply now!
3000 Mount Pleasant St, Burlington, IA 52601
Note: Shearer’s does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Shearer’s is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.