The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
This paid internship will grant the opportunity to work closely alongside the Prufrock Engineering Team, making the world's fastest tunnel boring machine. These machines will be responsible for creating thousands of miles of tunnel and making tunnels a viable method of transportation.
As a Tunnel Engineering Intern, you will explore many areas of Engineering such as Site Surveying, Tunnel Engineering and Civil Engineering. Priority is given to students who have completed at least their sophomore year of college. Interns will be responsible for their own housing, food and transportation.
- Tracking and reporting on day to day activities in the tunnel and on the launch site.
- Assist with site surveying and determining site conditions for in-ground infrastructure.
- Assist with grouting operations.
- Assist with site setup and TBM launch and demobilization operations.
- Assist with the buildout and finishings of tunnels after excavation is complete.
- Assist with construction sequences and planning for shaft excavations and other construction activities.
- Facilitate and organize the shipment and delivery of Prufrock materials.
- Track in real-time, inventory and consumables as they relate to tunnel construction.
- Inspect tunnel segments and rings for structural integrity and hazards.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Construction Management, Building Sciences or equivalent field.
- Experience working in the field is most beneficial.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Construction field experience is a huge plus and one of the most important aspects as this is an in the field get dirty kind of role.
- Experience with civil engineering as-built drawings.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to read and comprehend construction documents.
- Strong ability to take a large project and break it down into smaller deliverables that align within a schedule to meet deadlines.
- Ability to study and comprehend specifications, rules and regulations.
- Strong problem solving, deductive reasoning, and communication skills.
- Experience using AutoCAD and / or AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Experience drafting utilities and / or structural drawings.
- Position requires internship to be completed in 12 consecutive weeks.
- Position may require extended hours and weekend work.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.