Mission-Driven. Honor-Bound. Fairbanks Morse Defense. What’s your calling? For the men and women of Fairbanks Morse Defense it’s the rapid and effective support of the fleets that entrust us to design, develop, and deliver the best naval power technology on the planet. We’re one of the nation’s leading marine defense contractors because of the highly trained and dedicated teams that provide reliable power systems, parts, and aftermarket services to the U.S. Navy, Coast Guard, Military Sealift Command, and Canadian Coast Guard. When you join Fairbanks Morse Defense, you join a legacy of commitment that spans 150 years. Fairbanks Morse Defense offers competitive benefits with a wide range of training and development opportunities. Our world-class teams are dedicated to helping every individual achieve their full potential. Discover what it’s like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse Defense team here: https://www.fairbanksmorsedefense.com/careers
FEC / Fairbanks Morse is looking for Professional Welders capable of performing a variety of welding functions. The ideal candidate should be familiar with and capable of using various types of welding equipment. A welder is also required to perform other miscellaneous tasks, as supervision deems necessary.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Reads and interprets blueprints and machine drawings to determine specific welding requirements.
- Mig and Tig weld in flat, horizontal, vertical or overhead positions.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Repairs broken or cracked parts and fills holes.
- Positions and clamps workpieces together or assembles them in jig or fixtures.
- Selects torch, torch tip, filler ford and flux, according to welding chart specifications or type and thickness of material.
- Tacks assemblies together.
- Preps all work start to finish to meet requirements.
- Cleans or de-greases parts.
- Performs all necessary maintenance and repair on all equipment used in welding.
- Be able to move parts in and move finished product out of welding area.
- Ability to work independently.
- Positive attitude / willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to retain knowledge and apply to applicable jobs.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- 3 years MIG/TIG experience minimum. 5+ years preferred.
- Associate degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to operate and pass a forklift test.
- Ability to read and interpret documents furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, quality manuals and procedure manuals.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Be able to read and interpret blueprints.
- Must be able to read a tape measure.
- Ability to perform simple shop math, convert decimals to fractional equivalents.
- Ability to use weld fillet gauges to ensure proper weld size and interpret tolerances.
- Must be able to identify and measure material.
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or
This specification is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. Ability to competently perform all the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation, demonstrated commitment to effective customer service delivery, and the ability to work productively as a member of a team or work group are basic requirements of all positions at Fairbanks Morse Defense.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Veterans / Disabled
Fairbanks Morse Defense offers a competitive benefits package including but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances, and 401k retirement plan with employer match. In addition, we offer paid time off, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled