ABM (NYSE: ABM) is a leading provider of facility solutions with revenues of approximately $6.4 billion and over 130,000 employees in 300 offices deployed throughout the United States and various international locations. ABM’s comprehensive capabilities include electrical & lighting, energy solutions, facilities engineering, HVAC & mechanical, janitorial, landscape & turf, mission critical solutions and parking, provided through stand-alone or integrated solutions. Founded in 1909, ABM provides custom facility solutions in urban, suburban and rural areas to properties of all sizes — from schools and commercial buildings to hospitals, data centers, manufacturing plants and airports.
The Company may require that the successful candidate hired for this position be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19, if and to the extent permitted by applicable law. The Company will make exceptions for medical, sincerely held religious belief, or other legally required exceptions.
Job Description – Operations Manager
The Operations Manager will provide leadership and supervision of engineering operations at multiple buildings in the assigned market. The prime engineering responsibilities includes the direction, coordination and control of activities and personnel to provide overall quality control for all properties, while delivering superior customer service in a safe and stable operating environment. Working with the properties and corporate teams the Operations Manager will, in cooperation with the Chief Engineers, actively manage the site operating budget and expenses to meet or exceed annual goals. The Operations Manager will review all capital projects and tenant fit out plans. Additional duties include utility management and tracking according to group and corporate initiatives. From time-to-time role will require the inclusion of preventive maintenance and tenant work order tasks. This role will also include ensuring the safety of the employees and tenants of these facilities through monitoring OSHA required safety training, Safety presentations, and safety audits. Also required is the understanding of and compliance with the contract between client and contractor including deliverables and KPI’s.
Essential Job Functions
1) Provide leadership and supervision to on-site engineering staff. Creates and manages annual performance plans for engineering team members. Manages and sets expectations for engineering staff levels, working with Chief Engineer and Property Manager, to ensure tenant satisfaction. Meets with engineering team to review current operating conditions, ongoing building and tenant improvement projects and initiatives. Maintains and shares current knowledge of industry developments and trends, preferably through active participation in industry associations, e.g., ASHRAE and BOMA. (25%)
2) Directly responsible for all operation and management of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC equipment in the assigned properties or portfolio. Develops, manages, and adapts preventative maintenance requirements using Angus and building automation system (BAS) data to minimize downtime and unscheduled outages. Directs, contracts, and assesses repairs and replacement of major systems and or components in the assigned properties. Lead staff in building and corporate initiatives, including but not limited to: arc flash, HVAC water treatment, indoor air quality (IAQ), elevator initiatives, energy initiatives and improvements to property operations. Acts as a technical resource for property management and engineers for projects requiring outside engineering resources, e.g., elevator modernization, structural improvements, and HVAC upgrades. Assist with capital and construction projects. The current construction budget for 2023 is 50 million dollars. (20%)
3) Energy Conservation Program: Use systemic measures to promote energy awareness and conservation at managed properties. Champion consolidated energy conservation programs to achieve maximum results from tenants and staff. Participate in corporate sustainability initiatives. Assist in the utility purchasing process providing historical usage trends and projected changes is site load profiles. Utilize MACH Energy and Schneider Electric’s Resource Advisor platforms to develop and monitor effective energy management programs for consumption and demand to reduce usage. Work with the Director of Engineering, consultants, property management and engineers to identify opportunities for reductions and efficiencies as well as implementation of those aspects. (10%)
4) In cooperation with Property Manager and Chief Engineer, proactively manage and track expenses including HVAC, R&M and utilities. Review monthly cash flow detail reports for variances and issues creating action plans to address anomalies. Work with Asset Manager, Property Manager and Director of Engineering to create annual budgets, projects and variance reports as required. Manage engineering payroll and overtime (20%)
5) Reviews, as requested, construction drawings for building and tenant improvements to identify items not in compliance with customers construction standards. Consistently reviews projects plans that may change the overall function or capacity of equipment or building infrastructure to ensure the necessity of the project and alternatives have been identified and reviewed, and that the need of design engineering by a qualified professional engineer has been considered. Works closely with property management prior to submitting bid packages to review all specifications, scope and proper supporting documentation per policies. (10%)
6) Conducts inspections of all building and systems ensuring compliance with operating requirements. Thoroughly reviews overall facility condition, equipment maintenance records and procedures, energy reports and rates, engineer manpower development, life safety records, water treatment programs and records, tenant and elevator complaint logs and monthly summaries. Identifies areas for improvement. (10%)
7) Responsible for procuring, managing, and tracking service contracts for primary systems including Fire & Life Safety Testing, Emergency Generator PM, Water Treatment, Elevators and Mechanical Service. Working with engineers monitors and administer contracts. (5%)
The Operations Manager will assist in the creation and management of the annual operating and 5 Year capital budgets for multiple buildings within the assigned market.
In conjunction with Chief Engineer and Property Manager, provide ongoing work assignments for associates.
Provide on-the-job training to associates; monitor progress.
Coach associates for performance improvement.
Conduct performance reviews for associates.
In conjunction with the Director of Engineering and third-party contractor, develop and implement career development pathways for engineering team.
Develop and implement cross training program for the assigned portfolio.
Final decision-maker, in conjunction with assigned Property Manager and Chief Engineer, when hiring and/or terminating associates.
A two-year certificate or degree in a facilities related program and/or a high school diploma and vocational training in HVAC, electrical, plumbing and facilities is required.
In addition to the education outlined above, at least 10 years of experience as a Chief or Facilities Engineer with management and oversight of both teams and mechanical operations. Successful experience managing multiple properties is a must. Experience working directly for a contracted entity serving clients is a plus. Experience working on complex mechanical, electrical & HVAC systems, including maintenance, repair and troubleshooting. Strong knowledge of building codes, life safety codes and local regulatory requirements.
A candidate who excels in a team environment where quality and professionalism are valued
The position will promote a professional image through positive interactions with tenants, vendors and peers. The candidate must possess the ability to mentor and train staff members, identifying personal performance plans based on global goals for the team and site.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are required to properly convey critical systems and operating information. The ability to prioritize and organize responsibilities efficiently in a fluid environment will be a prerequisite to leading a successful team. The successful candidate will require strong mechanical system knowledge with an analytical approach to systems engineering, maintenance, and repair. The position requires the use of Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Outlook E mail, ANGUS CMMS software, and various building automation software systems.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of duties that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ABM offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k) plan with immediate vesting, short and long-term disability, PTO, paid holidays and more.
ABM values the rich diversity of its workforce. We strive to foster a work environment of respect and engagement that harnesses our workforce’s diversity to our common goal of providing prompt and superior client service.
ABM participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Este empleador participa en E-Verify y proporcionará al gobierno federal la información de su Formulario I-9 para confirmar que usted está autorizado para trabajar en los Estados Unidos.
ABM is an EOE (Minority / Female / Veteran / Disability / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation) and is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance in completing the employment application, please call 888-328-8606. We will provide you with assistance and make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
•ABM does not sell or share your personal information.
•We collect basic personal details like your name and address, work history, and other employment related personal information. We also collect Sensitive Personal Information like race/ethnicity because we are required to do so by law.
•We collect this information in order to process your employment with us.
•We will keep your information for as long as is required by law.
Prior to the submission of your personal information, please review our Employee Privacy Notice. If you are from California, please review our California Employee Privacy Notice.