Mission-Driven. Honor-Bound. Fairbanks Morse Defense. What’s your calling? For the men and women of Fairbanks Morse Defense it’s the rapid and effective support of the fleets that entrust us to design, develop, and deliver the best naval power technology on the planet. We’re one of the nation’s leading marine defense contractors because of the highly trained and dedicated teams that provide reliable power systems, parts, and aftermarket services to the U.S. Navy, Coast Guard, Military Sealift Command, and Canadian Coast Guard. When you join Fairbanks Morse Defense, you join a legacy of commitment that spans 150 years. Fairbanks Morse Defense offers competitive benefits with a wide range of training and development opportunities. Our world-class teams are dedicated to helping every individual achieve their full potential. Discover what it’s like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse Defense team here: https://www.fairbanksmorsedefense.com/careers
Project Manager, Engineering
Consistent with our core values, we expect the Project Manager, Engineering to be a high-energy team leader with unquestioned integrity and a drive to make FEC successful in the implementation of Commercial Contracts. This role requires a professional who is collaborative, demanding, dynamic, flexible, personable, professional and trusted.
The Project Manager, Engineering is responsible for rapid, consistent, and efficient program management through initiating, planning, executing, monitoring/controlling and closing of projects for our customers.
Coordinates customer interface support and assures compliance to contract and product specifications from receipt of contract through completion of the program. This position requires technical and administrative control of projects in accordance with the agreed/authorized objectives, schedule, and internal/external requirements.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the cost, schedule, technical, and contractual performance requirements of projects through the life-cycle phases of development, production, and field installation. This includes leading cross-functional teams, developing and maintaining an integrated master schedule (IMS), managing development and test to a technical baseline, and maintaining a proactive risk management program.
- Directs the responsibilities and activities of assigned program teams, which will include project management, engineering, manufacturing operations, and field installation functions.
- Coordinates with Sales / Bids & Proposal / Operations groups to understand and implement proposal plans/contract budgets, deliverables, schedules to establish accurate scope of contract work to meet contractual requirements. Manages the transition from the proposal phase to the contract phase, effectively communicating the requirements and objectives to all organizational disciplines.
- Proactively monitors risks, opportunities, and project performance to ensure project is achieving all business objectives and coordinates development of recovery plans in areas of deficient performance.
- Supports the leadership team in communications with the customer. Serves as the customer advocate for all matters pertaining to the assigned projects. As the customer advocate, participates in all areas requiring resolution, whether with other departments/functions, organizations, or suppliers.
- Assures adequate cost collection occurs to verify budget accuracy.
- Evaluates all phases of the assigned projects including budget, schedule, technical and manufacturing performance, actuals and variances. Provides periodic reports to management to reflect the status of the assigned projects.
- May be required to occasionally travel to customer or supplier locations or to meet with internal teams.
- Support pipeline development and execution with FEC Leadership, Sales Managers, Solutions Sales Mangers, Service Centers, and Project Leads.
Qualifications, Skills and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Business Management, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or other related fields
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is preferred
- A minimum of 7 years of demonstrated, successful project execution experience in a technical field; marine and/or digital product development experience is preferred
- Previous experience in a machine shop is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple indirect teams of 5-10 individuals, including the ability to appropriately balance team and individual workloads and provide feedback to direct managers for performance coaching
- Strong root cause analysis and problem-solving ability
- Strong English language communications skills (verbal, written and presentation); ability to clearly and concisely express and present information (or data) to non-technical associates, peers, and senior management
- Strong financial acumen related to reporting and decision-making
- Strong FAR / DFAR understanding is preferred
- Strong subcontractor management experience in a global environment
- Highly motivated, self-determined spirit
- Ability to develop creative, sound solutions to commercial problems that balance customer expectations and business objectives
- Flexibility to adjust and thrive in an environment with changing requirements, schedules and priorities for multiple projects or assignments
- Willingness and flexibility to travel up to 20% annually
- Excellent business power user IT skills (MS Office & Office 365, MS Project)
- This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
- Language: English
Federal Equipment Company is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ancestry, national origin, marital status, citizenship status (unless required by the applicable law or government contract), disability or protected veteran status or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Fairbanks Morse Defense offers a competitive benefits package including but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances, and 401k retirement plan with employer match. In addition, we offer paid time off, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled