The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
The Prufrock team creates the world's fastest tunnel boring machines. These machines will be responsible for creating thousands of miles of tunnel and making tunnels a viable method of transportation.
As a Mechanical Engineer working on Prufrock, you will spearhead the design of numerous structures, fluid systems, and components that must withstand extreme loads. You will own hardware through the product life cycle (design, analysis, build, and test) and will interact regularly with the team during critical design phases. You are well-versed in component design and analysis and employ a ground-up, fundamental physics approach to problem solving. You have strong technical and interpersonal skills and you thrive in a creative, scrappy, and collaborative environment in which the best ideas change company-level direction on a regular basis.
- Design various systems and sub-systems related to operations such as boring machine parts, support systems, support system equipment, passenger/construction vehicles and tunnel infrastructure.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Own the project schedule and ensure timely completion from conception to implementation on small to medium tasks.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependent systems, bringing attention to changes in schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 3+ years of experience in design, build and testing in a Mechanical Engineering role or relevant position.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in design, build and testing in Mechanical Engineering role or relevant position.
- Proficiency using SolidWorks.
- Intermediate proficiency in machine design.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Experience in creating manufacturing drawings.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Willing to travel to job sites as required to commission & develop new designs, as well as troubleshoot and problem solve existing designs.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.