The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
- Lead the design of various systems and sub-systems related to operations such as boring machine parts, support systems, support system equipment, passenger/construction vehicles and tunnel infrastructure.
- Act as a subject matter expert for mechanical design projects, providing assistance and direction to other team members as needed.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Own project schedule to ensure timely completion from conception to implementation.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependent systems, bringing attention to changes in schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 6+ years of experience in Mechanical Engineering role or relevant position.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2+ years of experience in creating manufacturing drawings and reviewing drawings before release.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- High level of proficiency in machine design.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Willing to travel to job sites as required to commission & develop new designs, as well as troubleshoot and problem solve existing designs.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary
Reporting Location: Bastrop, Texas - Headquarters
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.